How to Make Chocolate Covered Strawberries That Look Like Turkeys
I may have been compensated for this post. Please keep in mind that it affects you in no way financially. If an item is being reviewed, I am not obligated to give a positive review and always use my own words. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. If you would like a review done contact Dannelle at firstname.lastname@example.org
I don’t know about you, but I love fun things to put onto the plate settings every year! I have made custom chocolate pilgrims – both male and female that stood up. One year I had turkey cookies that were made from a handprint cookie cutter and artfully decorated.
This year? It will be chocolate covered strawberries that look like turkeys!
Strawberries are a fairly decent price right now – not quite the bargain as they normally are when in season around May or June, but still under three bucks for a 16-ounce container.
Chocolate covered strawberries that look like turkeys for Thanksgiving
These are flavorful, whimsical, and fairly simple to make. That checks all my boxes for something cool to surprise everyone with for the Thanksgiving table. They are simply fun Thanksgiving food ideas and an easy recipe.
What is the best chocolate for covering strawberries?
I’d say the better quality the chocolate is, the better the final result will be. Yes, baking chocolate works. Yes, any type of chocolate chips will work. Even Ghirardelli has great chocolate melting wafers that work great for dipping. Just focus on getting a good quality or high quality chocolate – it will make all the difference in your recipe. It doesn’t matter if you use dark chocolate or milk chocolate – it is just a personal preference.
Is it possible to use candy melts to dip strawberries into?
We have all seen the huge variety of colors at Michael’s – there are both light and dark brown too! While these would easily work to make your chocolate-covered strawberries that look like turkeys, I think the melts are too sweet to use.
How long DO strawberries dipped in chocolate last?
Strawberries that have been chocolate dipped will last a day at room temperature. If you choose to pop them in the fridge they can last up to a week. The trick is to put them in an airtight container.
So, you can make these the day before Thanksgiving and know that you will still have a decent quality treat to share with your guests
Chocolate covered strawberry turkeys with pretzels
If you want to make chocolate covered strawberries shaped like turkeys, the pretzels are the magic answer to help make that desired shape you are looking for.
It all starts with the Strawberries
The fresh fruit is the base of this fun treat so you need to keep a few things in mind.
- Choose strawberries that are ripe, but firm at the same time. It is OK to open those boxes at the grocery store to inspect them all – just don’t add or remove any berries.
- The strawberries should be at room temperature. Cold or chilled berries will prevent it the chocolate from sticking to them.
- Wash your strawberries first and then thoroughly dry the berries with a paper towel. Let them sit at room temperature while you melt the chocolate.
How to make chocolate covered strawberries that look like turkeys
Follow these simple steps to get started.
Chocolate covered strawberry turkey ingredients:
- Strawberries – see above for how to treat and prepare them
- White frosting – even a store-brand tub will work and put into a Piping bag
- Pretzel sticks -m these are the matchstick-sized ones, not the large pretzel rods
- Melting chocolate – semi-sweet chocolate is my preferred choice
- Coconut oil
How to make your little turkeys:
Trim the tops off of the room temperature strawberries
Pipe a small dab of frosting on each side of the fresh strawberries.
Attach a pretzel stick to the frosting on each side of the strawberry to form the legs as shown
Chill in freezer for a few minutes
Now it is time to temper the chocolate
- This is necessary to ensure that the chocolate hardens properly and does not remain soft, once it covers the strawberries. Who wants to pick up a chocolate-covered strawberry and have the chocolate still on the plate? To temper the chocolate, when melting it over a double boiler, add 3/4 of the chocolate to the bowl and melt. Then once melted, add the remaining chocolate and stir.
- You CAN do this in the microwave instead of using a double boiler on the stove. When using a microwave, start by coarsely chopping the chocolate. Chopped chocolate is easier it is to melt as it is smaller pieces. Put 3/4 of the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and zap in the microwave in 20 to 30-second intervals, stirring each time. Add just a little bit of the coconut oil and stir again. Once the chocolate is melted, stir in the rest of it. It will melt because of the heat from the already melted chocolate so there is no need to heat it again.
Hold the strawberry over a bowl or place it on a rack and spoon the melted chocolate over to cover the entire strawberry. If you have a chocolate fork, you can simply make them dipped strawberries by lowering them in and out of the bowl or pot of melted chocolate. I like to tap the fork on the edge of the bowl or pot to shake off the excess chocolate. Set them on parchment paper or wax paper until that chocolate sets.
Pipe on white “foot” covers with that white frosting to finish off your turkey legs.
Your cute turkey sweet treats are now ready to impress your guests! Just look at these strawberry turkey treats – I promise they will be a huge hit with the whole family.
Just picture biting into that juicy strawberry and silky chocolate cover – yum!
If you like our Chocolate Covered Strawberries That Look Like Turkeys – try these treats:
- Whimsical Chocolate Filled Turkey Cups
- Delicious Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
- Chocolate Coffee Cake Bread
- How to Make the Best Apple Pie Cupcakes
- Easy Peasy Reeses Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes