Our Famous Beer Cheese Soup With Sausage Recipe
I may have been compensated for this post. Please keep in mind that it affects you in no way financially. If an item is being reviewed, I am not obligated to give a positive review and always use my own words. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. If you would like a review done contact Dannelle at email@example.com
Filled with hearty ingredients like Beer, Fresh Shredded Wisconsin Cheddar Cheese, and a diced Slightly Smokey Kielbasa, our Beer Cheese Soup With Sausage is a dish that warms the heart.
The Beer gives it a rich flavor while the cheese adds creaminess to this comforting soup recipe. It’s perfect for any time of year!
We served this at our restaurant
It was one of the soups that would easily sell out before 1:00 PM – it didn’t matter how large a batch we made. They seemed to know and always clean us out. Once you taste this, you will understand why.
Obviously, we scaled this recipe down for you – you certainly don’t need to be making a batch of 40 gallons of soup for your family when looking for some comfort food!
Are you a football fan?
In Wisconsin, we are all about the Green Bay Packers! It is OK if you root for another team – this is one of those perfect dishes to serve when watching them play on game day or even the Super Bowl. It makes a nice switch up from that large pot of chili.
We highlight some of what Wisconsin is known for
With a strong German heritage, you will find some of the best cheese, beer, and cased meats that you could ever wrap your lips around.
Wisconsin is the Dairy State! Cheese is just one of the things we are known for – and there are so many award-winning cheesemakers.
Beer is another thing – I think Milwaukee was practically founded by breweries back in the day but the microbreweries are in full force now. Rumor has it that there are around 950 craft breweries!
With several different meat markets, you have a large selection of sausage to choose from. We host the World’s Largest Brat Fest and even have the Sausage Run at the Milwaukee Brewer baseball games.
When you add all of those together and bring a few more fun flavors to the table? Your taste buds will be thanking you for treating them to this rich soup.
Pin this now for later
What kind of sausage do we like to use?
We aren’t talking your normal breakfast sausage here. We are talking about different kinds of German sausage or even Cajun! While we tend to favor a nice smoky kielbasa, you could make beer cheese soup with smoked sausage or even kick it up a notch with beer cheese soup with andouille sausage!
What you wont find in this cheddar beer soup
- Heavy cream, sour cream, or cream cheese. We use a combination of the roux and cheddar cheese to thicken this soup and make it creamy – without all that added fat.
- Cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, or hot sauce. Some people think this should be a hot and spicey soup – and if you fall into that category, use a different sausage than the Kielbasa.
- Cheese sauce. Just. No. We use real cheese.
- Onion powder. We like the added texture of using the real onions for this soup mixture.
- Cloves garlic. The sausage adds plenty of salty and savory flavor without needing the added garlic.
Beer cheese soup with sausage and potatoes?
You really don’t need potatoes with this recipe. They are an inexpensive filler that is replaced by the veggies and actual meat that is folded into your cheese soup with this recipe. There is plenty of texture and flavor already, without adding the potatoes.
How to serve your finished soup
We love to serve it with a nice crusty bread, or in a bread bowl. Pretzle rolls would work also, we just tend to stay away from rye bread as that is too strong a flavor on its own.
How to store leftover Beer Cheese Soup
If, and I mean if, you have any leftover soup, you just need to place it in an airtight container and then the fridge. Like most things, this soup will last in the fridge for up to four days. You could also freeze it, but we recommend only doing so for a month as the cheese may start to break down over time.
The Best Beer Cheese Soup Recipe
Prep time is what gets you on this, you have several things to dice up or shred. Once that is all out of the way, the total time to actually cook this delicious recipe is only about 20 minutes.
Beer Cheese Soup with Sausage Ingredients
There is nothing like sitting with a warm bowl of this on a snowy evening.
- 3 sticks butter
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced – it can be a yellow onion or a red onion, just not green onions
- 1 package smoked sausage, diced small – again, I like the Kielbasa
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 can or bottle of beer
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
How to make Beer Cheese Soup with Sausage
In a large saucepan, melt butter – just one stick of it
Saute the carrots, celery, onion, and sausage in that melted butter until tender over medium heat
Remove from pan, set aside
In the same pan make a roux by melting 2 sticks of butter then whisking in the flour and cooking until light brown
Whisk in chicken broth, beer, and seasonings – bring to boil, allow to thicken, add sauteed veggies and sausage back in
Reduce to a low simmer and add shredded cheese, stirring until the cheese melts and it is smooth
Serve & enjoy!
Other soup recipes you may enjoy:
- Hearty Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- Supreme Pizza Soup – A Budget Treat
- Frugal and Healthy Instant Pot Detox Soup
- Our Crowd-Pleasing Autumn Chowder Soup Recipe
- Beyond Amazing Swiss Potato Soup Recipe
- How to Make the Best Chicken Chili Con Carne
Print off Our Famous Beer Cheese Soup With Sausage Recipe
Cheddar Beer Soup
This is one of my favorite “go to” soups on cold winter days — it is easy to make and warms the spirit.
- 3 sticks butter
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cups diced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 1.5 cans of beer
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 lbs shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- parsley flakes
- salt and white pepper
- Keilbasa or Smoked Beef Sausage, diced (optional)
- Saute carrots, celery and onion in the stick of butter.
- Make a roux out of 2 sticks butter and 1 cup flour.
- In your soup pot, combine chicken stock, beer, garlic powder. Bring to a boil,
- Stir in boiling roux to thicken.
- Add sauteed veggies.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and slowly add in 1 1/2 pounds of shredded sharp cheddar cheese, parsley flakes for color and a little salt and white pepper to taste.
- Optional: Add diced kielbasa or smoked beef sausage.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 856Total Fat: 69gSaturated Fat: 37gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 185mgSodium: 1735mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 33g
2 thoughts on “Our Famous Beer Cheese Soup With Sausage Recipe”
Gonna have to try this one out!
Ooooh yum!! Going to print that one off, it’s quite good with popcorn on top 😉