Check Out Our Easy John Wayne Casserole Recipe
I may have been compensated for this post. Please keep in mind that it affects you in no way financially. If an item is being reviewed, I am not obligated to give a positive review and always use my own words. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. If you would like a review done contact Dannelle at firstname.lastname@example.org
John Wayne, the oh-so infamous “Duke”, the famous actor face behind the iconic movies The Cowboys and Big Jake. Not only did he take over the hearts of many with his popular western and war movies, but also their stomachs with this delicious John Wayne Casserole Recipe. A recipe that John Wayne himself helped contribute to, and is sure to sweep you off your feet too! Who knew famous people could cook too?
Our John Wayne Casserole Recipe
Casseroles have to be the best dinner option. Busy week? A hearty Casserole. Have a lot of people to feed? An easy Casserole. Long day and just feel like being lazy? You can never go wrong by adding your favorite ingredients to a casserole dish and sticking it in the oven. They really make for the perfect weeknight dinner!
Why You Are Going To Love This:
The Original John Wayne casserole recipe is best described as tacos with a twist. You are sure to love the combination of the ground meat mixture of your choice, with the savory seasoning and veggies, all sitting in a biscuit base crust to hold it together. Instead of noodles or potatoes, you are getting a biscuit casserole here, and a pretty complete meal.
What Do I Need To Make John Wayne Casserole? Just look at these simple ingredients!
- Ground beef mixture (pork, beef, chicken, turkey… the choice is yours!)
- 1-2 packet Taco seasoning – you can use homemade taco seasoning
- Pillsbury Grands biscuits
- Sour cream
- Mayonnaise – I go with Kraft
- Cheddar cheese – or a cheddar cheese mixture
- Fresh tomatoes – we prefer cherry tomatoes for this recipe, but Roma tomatoes would work
- Yellow onion – is the least expensive option.
- Orange or green bell peppers, sliced
- Diced jalapeño peppers
Why is it Called John Wayne Casserole?
John Wayne himself contributed to this recipe for a cookbook that was being written by 10-year-old Cara Connery called “Cooking with love with Cara and her Friends”. The proceeds would go to the American Cancer Society. She faced many obstacles, even losing one of her manuscripts in a home fire but the John Wayne Casserole is the recipe that made Volume 1 a best seller. Check out the book on Amazon:
How to Make John Wayne Casserole
Heat oven to 350 and prepare a 13×9 baking dish with nonstick spray, making sure to get the sides of the pan.
Place biscuit dough in a single layer on the bottom of the dish and push the dough halfway up the sides of the dish.
Bake for about 20 minutes until light brown, and set aside.
In a large skillet brown the two pounds of ground meat with the taco seasoning, 1 sliced yellow onion, and the 1/2 sliced bell pepper on medium-high heat, until cooked through.
Set it aside.
In a small bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of sour cream, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, and 1/2 cup cheese then set it aside.
To assemble the casserole evenly spread the cooked ground beef mixture on top of the baked biscuit crust layer.
Next, add 1 cup of sliced cherry tomatoes and that 4 oz can of diced jalapenos.
Drizzle on the sour cream mixture.
Finally, sprinkle on the 1 1/2 cup of remaining cheese.
Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until dough is golden brown and cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro if desired, serve, and enjoy!
If you have any leftover casserole, just place them in an airtight container and pop it in the fridge for up to four days. You can reheat it in the oven at a lower temperature when covered with aluminum foil, or just zap it in the microwave for a few minutes while on a plate covered with plastic wrap.
Tips for Upping Your Casserole Game with these variations of this recipe:
- By cooking in a baking dish that comes with a cover, you will be able to store your leftovers efficiently without adding more dishes to clean.
- With this recipe, I would suggest putting extra sour cream and other toppings on the table. This allows each person to choose their level of spice and personalize the dish to their tastebuds.
- Try making this recipe using a muffin pan! Excellent way of making this a meal prep-friendly recipe for busy weeks while still making sure your family is eating good meals.
John Wayne Casserole FAQ
- How many calories are in a serving?
For one serving of this casserole, there are about 800 calories.
- Does the size of the baking dish matter?
This recipe is fit for a 13×9 baking dish, however, if you do not have one, you may use whatever size you have. Be sure to adjust cook time accordingly, and keep in mind that for smaller pans you may need more than one.
- What do you serve with a casserole?
As an appetizer for this dish, our Southwest Chicken Wonton Cups would accompany this casserole perfectly. For side dishes, I would recommend serving a salad with a great light dressing like this Spinach Salad With Hot Bacon Dressing. You could also serve it with cooked veggies such as broccoli, or fruit salad, or personalize it with one of your favorite sides!
I hope you enjoy this casserole, and that it brings smiles to the whole family! Let this recipe inspire you to experiment with different ingredient combinations and see where it takes you!
Print off our recipe card here:
- 2 lbs ground meat
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can Grands biscuits
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- ½ orange bell pepper, sliced
- 4 oz can diced jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare a 13x9 baking dish with nonstick spray
- Place biscuits in a single layer on the bottom of the dish and push the dough halfway up the sides of the dish
- Bake for about 20 minutes until light brown, set aside
- In a skillet brown the ground meat with the taco seasoning, onions, and bell pepper then
- In a small bowl whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, and ¼ cup cheese then set aside
- To assemble the casserole evenly spread the meat mixture on top of the baked biscuit
- Next, add tomatoes and jalapenos
- Drizzle on the sour cream mixture
- Finally, sprinkle on the remaining cheese
- Bake uncovered for 30-40 minutes until dough is golden brown and cheese is melted
- Garnish with cilantro if desired, serve, and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 803Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 30gCholesterol: 194mgSodium: 960mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 52g