Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese Recipe: How to Make it at Home
I may have been compensated for this post. Please keep in mind that it affects you in no way financially. If an item is being reviewed, I am not obligated to give a positive review and always use my own words. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. If you would like a review done contact Dannelle at email@example.com
Longhorn Steakhouse is a popular American restaurant chain that offers a wide variety of delicious dishes. One of their most popular menu items is the Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese Recipe. This creamy and cheesy dish is a fan favorite and has become a staple in many households.
If you’re a fan of Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese and want to recreate the dish at home, you’re in luck. There are many copycat recipes available online that allow you to make this delicious dish in the comfort of your own kitchen. These recipes use simple ingredients and easy-to-follow instructions, making it possible for anyone to create a restaurant-quality mac and cheese dish at home.
History of Longhorn Steakhouse
Longhorn Steakhouse is a popular American casual dining restaurant chain that specializes in steaks, burgers, and other American dishes. The restaurant was founded in 1981 by George McKerrow Jr. and his father in Atlanta, Georgia. The first Longhorn Steakhouse location was a converted Dairy Queen restaurant on Peachtree Street.
In 1991, Longhorn Steakhouse was acquired by the restaurant conglomerate RARE Hospitality International, which also owned The Capital Grille and Bugaboo Creek Steak House. Under RARE’s ownership, Longhorn Steakhouse expanded rapidly, opening new locations throughout the United States.
In 2007, RARE Hospitality International was acquired by Darden Restaurants, which also owns Olive Garden, Bahama Breeze, and other restaurant chains. Today, Longhorn Steakhouse has over 500 locations in the United States, making it one of the largest steakhouse chains in the country.
Longhorn Steakhouse is known for its Western-themed decor, including antique farm equipment, cowboy hats, and other memorabilia. The restaurant’s menu features a variety of steak cuts, including the signature Outlaw Ribeye, as well as burgers, salads, and seafood dishes.
Overall, Longhorn Steakhouse has become a popular destination for families and steak lovers across the United States, offering a casual and welcoming atmosphere and delicious food at an affordable price.
Ingredients for Mac and Cheese
Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese is a beloved dish with a creamy and cheesy flavor. To recreate this dish at home, you will need a few key ingredients. Here are the ingredients you will need to make Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese:
- Pasta: This is the base of the dish. You will need about 16 ounces of the pasta of your choice to make four servings of mac and cheese. I used cellentani past
- Butter: You will need unsalted butter to make the cheese sauce. About 2 Tablespoons of butter is sufficient.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is used to thicken the cheese sauce. You will need about 2 Tablespoons of flour.
- Half-and-half: This is a combination of milk and cream, and it is used to make the cheese sauce creamy. You will need about 2 cups of half-and-half.
- Gruyere cheese: This is the star of the dish. You will need about 2 ounces of shredded Gruyere cheese.
- White Cheddar Cheese: You will need 8 ounces of this, grated. Fresh is best – don’t buy the stuff already shredded in a bag. The preservatives and anti-caking agents throw off the flavor.
- Parmesan cheese: Parmesan cheese is used to add a nutty and salty flavor to the dish. You will need about 2 Tablespoons cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Fontina Cheese: This adds more than you know – and a lot of copycat recipes leave it out! You need 4 ounces of it, shredded.
- Smoked Paprika: This is used to add a subtle flavor to the dish. You will need about 1 teaspoon of it.
- 4 Slices of Bacon: Cook this off in advance and crumble it. It will give the dish a smoky flavor.
- Panko Bread Crumbs: These give it that finished, crunchy topping
This recipe promises a mouthwatering, cheesy delight that’s perfect for any occasion. Enjoy your homemade creamy baked mac and cheese!
To make the Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese, you will need a few pieces of equipment. Here is a list of everything you will need:
- Large pot: You will need a large pot to cook the pasta. Make sure it is big enough to fit both the water and the pasta.
- Colander: You will need a colander to drain the pasta after it has been cooked.
- Large saucepan: You will need a large saucepan to make the cheese sauce. Make sure it is big enough to hold all the ingredients.
- Whisk: You will need a whisk to stir the cheese sauce. A whisk will help you get a smooth and creamy sauce.
- Baking dish: You will need a baking dish to bake the mac and cheese. Make sure it is big enough to hold all the mac and cheese.
- Oven: You will need an oven to bake the mac and cheese. Make sure your oven is preheated to 350°F before you start baking.
Having the right equipment is important when making the Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese. Make sure you have everything you need before you start cooking. This will help you stay organized and make the cooking process go smoothly.
With the equipment listed above, you will be able to make a delicious and creamy mac and cheese just like the one served at Longhorn Steakhouse.
Preparing the Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese recipe requires two main steps: preparing the pasta and preparing the cheese sauce. Here’s a breakdown of each step:
Preparation of Pasta
To start, preheat the oven to 350°F. Then, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package instructions until it is al dente. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
Preparation of Cheese Sauce
In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter is fully melted, add the flour and stir continuously to create a roux. Cook until the roux turns a golden brown color, which should take a few minutes.
Slowly pour in the half & half while stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth.
Add the Gruyere, white cheddar, Parmesan, and Fontina cheeses to the pot. Also, sprinkle in the smoked paprika. Stir until all the cheese is completely melted, and you have a rich, creamy sauce.
Finally, add the cooked pasta to the cheese sauce and mix until the pasta is fully coated. Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle the Panko bread crumbs and crumbled bacon on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
That’s it! With these simple steps, you can recreate the delicious Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese recipe in the comfort of your own home.
To make Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese, you will need to follow these simple cooking instructions:
- Prepare the Pasta: Start by cooking the cellentani pasta according to the package instructions. Once cooked, drain it and set it aside.
- Make the Roux: In a large pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once the butter is fully melted, add the flour and stir continuously to create a roux. Cook until the roux turns a golden brown color, which should take a few minutes.
- Creamy Base: Slowly pour in the half & half while stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth.
- Cheese Extravaganza: Add the gruyere, white cheddar, parmesan, and fontina cheeses to the pot. Also, sprinkle in the smoked paprika. Stir until all the cheese is completely melted, and you have a rich, creamy sauce.
- Combine with Pasta: Gently fold the cooked and drained pasta into the cheese sauce, ensuring that all the pasta is well coated with the creamy cheese mixture.
- Preheat and Prepare: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Grease a 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Transfer and Top: Transfer the mac and cheese mixture into the prepared baking dish, spreading it out evenly. Then, sprinkle the panko crumbs evenly over the top of the mac and cheese. Don’t forget to scatter the crumbled bacon on top for an extra burst of flavor.
- Bake to Perfection: Place the baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the top is beautifully golden brown and the mac and cheese is bubbling around the edges.
- Garnish with Freshness: If desired, garnish your baked mac and cheese with freshly chopped parsley. It adds a touch of color and freshness to your dish.
- Serve and Enjoy: Now comes the best part! Scoop out a generous portion of this creamy, cheesy mac and cheese, and savor every bite. It’s comfort food at its finest!
These cooking instructions are simple and easy to follow, and will result in a delicious mac and cheese dish that is sure to please. By following these instructions, you will be able to recreate the same flavors and textures that you would find at Longhorn Steakhouse.
Once you have prepared your Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese, it’s time to think about how to serve it. This rich and creamy dish is versatile and pairs well with many different foods. Here are a few serving suggestions to get you started:
- Serve as a side dish with grilled steak, roasted chicken, or baked salmon. The creamy texture of the mac and cheese complements the savory flavors of the meat and adds a touch of indulgence to your meal.
- Top with crispy bacon bits, chopped scallions, or fresh herbs like parsley or thyme for a pop of color and added flavor. These toppings add a nice contrast to the creamy texture of the mac and cheese.
- For a heartier meal, add some protein to the mac and cheese itself. Try stirring in some cooked and diced ham, grilled chicken, or sautéed shrimp. This turns the mac and cheese into a complete meal and adds some extra flavor and texture.
- If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, try serving the mac and cheese with a side salad or roasted vegetables. The creaminess of the mac and cheese pairs well with the crispness of fresh greens or the sweetness of roasted carrots or Brussels sprouts.
- For a fun twist, use the mac and cheese as a base for a loaded baked potato. Simply scoop the mac and cheese onto a baked potato and top with your favorite toppings like sour cream, chives, and shredded cheese.
Overall, the Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese is a delicious and indulgent dish that can be served in many different ways. Experiment with different toppings and pairings to find your favorite combination.
Storage and Reheating
If you have leftover Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese, it’s important to store it properly to ensure it stays fresh and safe to eat. Here are some tips for storing and reheating this delicious dish:
- Store leftover mac and cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- It’s best to consume leftover mac and cheese within 3-4 days of cooking it.
- Do not freeze mac and cheese as the texture may change when thawed.
- To reheat mac and cheese, transfer it to a microwave-safe dish and cover it with a damp paper towel.
- Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally until heated through.
- Alternatively, you can reheat mac and cheese in the oven. Preheat the oven to 350°F and transfer the mac and cheese to an oven-safe dish. Cover it with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
It’s important to note that reheating mac and cheese may cause it to dry out. To combat this, you can add a splash of milk or cream before reheating to help restore its creamy texture.
Variations of the Recipe
There are many variations of the Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese recipe that you can try at home. Here are a few examples:
- Bacon Mac and Cheese: Add cooked bacon to the recipe for an extra smoky flavor and a salty crunch. You can either crumble the bacon on top of the mac and cheese or mix it in with the pasta.
- Spicy Mac and Cheese: If you like your food with a kick, you can add some heat to the mac and cheese by using pepper jack cheese or adding some diced jalapenos to the recipe.
- Truffle Mac and Cheese: For a more sophisticated version of the dish, you can add some truffle oil or truffle salt to the recipe. This will give the mac and cheese a rich, earthy flavor that pairs well with steak or other meat dishes.
- Lobster Mac and Cheese: If you’re feeling fancy, you can add some cooked lobster meat to the mac and cheese. This will give the dish a decadent, indulgent flavor that’s perfect for a special occasion.
- Green Chile Mac and Cheese: If you want to add some Southwestern flair to the recipe, you can use green chiles instead of jalapenos. This will give the mac and cheese a milder, slightly sweet flavor that’s perfect for pairing with grilled chicken or steak.
No matter which variation you choose, the Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese recipe is a crowd-pleaser that’s sure to impress your guests. So why not try making it at home today?
Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese recipe is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that can be enjoyed by all. With its creamy and cheesy sauce, it is a perfect side dish for any meal.
Making this dish at home is simple and requires only a few ingredients. The recipe typically calls for elbow macaroni, white cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, bacon bits, butter, milk, and flour. By following the recipe instructions, you can have a creamy and delicious mac and cheese dish in less than an hour.
If you are looking for a way to spice up your mac and cheese, you can add some jalapenos or other spices to the recipe. You can also experiment with different types of cheese to create your own unique flavor.
Overall, Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese recipe is a classic dish that is loved by many. By following the recipe and adding your own personal touch, you can create a dish that is sure to impress your family and friends.
Frequently Asked Questions about a Longhorn Steakhouse Mac and Cheese Recipe
What is the recipe for Longhorn Steakhouse’s cheese sauce?
Longhorn Steakhouse’s cheese sauce is made with a combination of white cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese, along with butter, milk, and a few other ingredients. Several online sources provide copycat recipes for Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese, which include the recipe for the cheese sauce.
Does Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese contain bacon?
Yes, Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese contains bacon bits. The bacon adds a smoky flavor to the dish, which many people enjoy.
What are the nutrition facts for Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese?
The nutrition facts for Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese vary depending on the serving size and the specific recipe used. However, in general, mac and cheese is a high-calorie and high-fat dish. It’s best to enjoy it in moderation and as part of a balanced diet.
What do people say in reviews about Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese?
Many people rave about Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese, calling it creamy, cheesy, and delicious. Some reviewers note that the dish is a bit heavy and may be best shared with a friend or family member.
Are there any Longhorn Steakhouse recipes available online?
Yes, several websites provide copycat recipes for Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese, as well as other popular menu items. These recipes are a great way to enjoy your favorite restaurant dishes at home.
How many calories are in a side of Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese?
The exact number of calories in a side of Longhorn Steakhouse’s mac and cheese varies depending on the serving size and the specific recipe used. However, in general, mac and cheese is a high-calorie dish that should be enjoyed in moderation.